Answers to the December 2016 Crossword Puzzle:
3. Taiwan instituted a single-payer system in 1995. Read here about the success of their NHI!
5. According to a May 2016 Gallup poll, 58% of Americans support a “federally-funded healthcare system”.
7. During the heated Democratic primary, Ezra Klein attacked Bernie Sanders’ single-payer plan. See our epic meme here.
9. Accountable Care Organizations are not so distinct from HMOs.
10. Underinsurance refers to insurance that leaves patients with such high out-of-pocket costs or deductibles relative to their incomes that they are essentially uninsured.
1. Saskatchewan was the first province in Canada to institute a system similar to single payer.
2. In 2006 and 2008, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed single payer bills.
6. HR 676
8. Lyndon B. Johson