Index of Information on the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act
- Public Hearings on the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act
- Full text of S. 1679
- Bibliography of Historical Writings on the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act
Public Hearings on the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act
In May through June of 1949, a Subcommittee on Health Legislation of the Senate Committee on Labor and Public Welfare, chaired by Senator James Murray, held 15 days of hearings on a "National Health Program," taking testimony on four pieces of proposed legislation. One was the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act (S. 1679, H.R. 4312), sponsored by the Chair of the Subcommittee, Senator Murray, while the other three were: S. 1106, the "Medical Aid Act of 1949"; S. 1456, the "Voluntary Health Insurance Act"; and S. 1581, the "National Health Act of 1949."
Full text of S. 1679
Full text of the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act, as reproduced in the first public hearing on a "National Health Program" on May 23, 1949:
Bibliography of Historical Writings on the National Health Insurance and Public Health Act
- Anderson, Odin W. "Compulsory Medical Care Insurance, 1910-1950," The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 273, Medical Care for Americans (Jan., 1951): 106-113.
- Derickson, Alan. "Health Security for All? Social Unionism and Universal Health Insurance, 1935-1958," The Journal of American History 80, no. 4 (Mar., 1994): 1333-1356.
- Doherty, Kathleen, and Jenkins, Jeffery A. "Examining a failed moment: national health care, the AMA, and the US Congress, 1948-50." Paper prepared for presentation at the 2009 Annual Meeting of the Southern Political Science Association (January 2009), New Orleans, LA.
- Falk, I. S. "Medical Care in the USA: 1932-1972. Problems, Proposals and Programs from the Committee on the Costs of Medical Care to the Committee for National Health Insurance," The Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly. Health and Society 51, no. 1 (Winter, 1973), 1-32.
- Poen, Monte M. Harry S. Truman versus the Medical Lobby: The Genesis of Medicare. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri, 1996.
- Starr, Paul. “Transformation of defeat: the changing objectives of national health insurance, 1915-1980,” American Journal of Public Health 72, no. 1 (January 1, 1982): 78-88.