Following the 1970 election, Democrats retained control of both the House and the Senate, increasing their majority in the House, while Richard Nixon was re-elected president. National health reform was a priority issue at the outset of the 92nd Congress in 1971: Senator Ted Kennedy introduced the Health Security Act (S. 3), a national single-payer bill, on the first day of Congress, while Republican Senator Jacob Javits introduced a competing single-payer bill: the National Health Insurance and Health Improvements Act (S. 836). Half a dozen other national health reform efforts were introduced, and a number of Congressional Committees held public hearings in 1971.
The most prominent public hearings were hosted by the Senate's Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Labor and Public Welfare, which was chaired by Senator Kennedy. The hearings were held on the "Health Care Crisis in America," and met 23 times from February through May, 1971 in locations across the country - an incredible commitment of the Committee's available time during the legislative session.
Extensive public hearings were also held by the House Committee on Ways and Means on "National Health Insurance Proposals" in October and November, and by the Senate Committee on Finance on "National Health Insurance" in April 1971.
NOTE: The records below are large scanned files and may take some time to load, or they may be too large to open at all in the preview screen! We suggest you download the files to your computer for a faster loading experience.
Index of Public Hearings
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 1: February 22 and 23, 1971
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 2: February 25, 1971
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 3: March 1 and 3, 1971
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 4: March 4, 15 and 16, 1971
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 5: March 23, 24, 31, and April 6, 1971
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 6: April 7, 1971
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 7: April 14, 1971 in New York, NY
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 8: April 15, 1971 in Hempstead, Long Island, NY and Mount Kisco, NY
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 9: April 19, 20, and May 4, 1971 in Kingwood, WV, Nashville, TN, and Cleveland, OH
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 10: May 5, 13 and 14, 1971 in Chicago, IL, Des Moines, IA, and Denver, CO
- Health Care Crisis Hearings Part 11: May 17 and 18, 1971 in San Francisco, CA and Los Angeles, CA