Healthcare-NOW! is committed to educating, advocating and agitating for the universal, equitable, and humane health care system we truly need – improved Medicare for All. Find out about some of the activism that continues to build the movement:
1. See our roundup of Medicare’s 45th Birthday events from all over the country. Congratulations to all the groups and individuals who organized over 20 rallies and parties for Medicare’s Anniversary!. Also, see this amazing video of the flash mob in New York performing “Stop in the Name of Health.”
2. We have yet to raise the $5,000 needed to meet Physicans for a National Health Program’s matching pledge. So far we’ve raised about $3,000. Donate today to meet our goal and your donation will be doubled by PNHP! Everyone who donates will receive a single-payer button.
3. We recently launched HandsOffOurMedicare.org as the hub of our Campaign to Preserve and Protect Mediare. There, you can email or call your Rep and tell them not to cut Social Security and Medicare. We also have a breakdown of President Obama’s Deficit Commission members and their support for cutting and/or privatizing Social Security and Mediare.
4. Lawmakers tout inevitability of single-payer in open letter. “It has never been more important to have a strong movement behind Medicare for All,” wrote Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Reps. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and John Conyers (D-MI) in a letter (.pdf) addressed to “friends of health care for all.”
5. NESRI releases fact sheets on the federal health reform law that analyze the law from the perspective of immigrants, women, people of color, and rural communities. They find that the law’s failure to meet the key human rights standards of universality, equity, and accountability has concrete repercussions for already disadvantaged groups. Download the first two fact sheets here.
6. Healthare-NOW!’s Yearly National Strategy Conference will be on November 13th and 14th in Philadelphia, PA–where our national office is now located. Join hundreds of single-payer supporters from all over the country to formulate our strategy for 2011. Mark your calendars for November 13th and 14th!
We know the fight for universal, guaranteed healthcare lies ahead. If you have any resources or announcements that you’d like us to distribute please let us know.