Friday, January 13 – Sunday, January 15
New York City, NY
The agenda below is still in-formation and subject to change! Check back at this page for agenda updates.
Jump to the day of the conference you’re interested in:
Agenda for Friday, January 13
Registration Opens at 2:00PM
- Registration table outside the 2nd floor Grand Ballroom of the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, 481 8th Ave, New York, NY 10001
Single-Payer Rally at Trump Tower, 4:00PM – 5:00PM
- Meet at Trump Tower on the east side of 5th Ave, between 57th St. and 58th St. RSVP on Facebook here.
Reception, 7:00PM – 8:00PM
- Live music, hors d’oeuvres, and drinks at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, 481 8th Ave, New York, NY 10001
Opening Plenary, 8:00PM – 9:00PM
- Call to Order and Call to Action for the Conference – Marva Wade, NYSNA
- Welcome from the Host Committee – Jean Ross, National Nurses United; Judy Gonzalez, NYSNA; James J. Claffey, Jr. , IATSE Local One.
- Greetings from Gale Brewer, Manhattan Borough President
- Panel: The Legacy of Dr. King and Organizing at the Intersection of Healthcare Justice and Racial Justice – Senator Bill Perkins, NY Senate; Dr. Mary Travis Bassett, NYC Commissioner of Health (invited); and Ed Rosario, President, NYC Chapter of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement.
- Recognizing Momentive Strikers, on strike for healthcare
- Keynote Speaker: Nina Turner
Agenda for Saturday, January 14
Continental Breakfast, Registration, Anne Feeney sings, 8:00AM – 9:00AM
Opening Remarks, Conference Strategy Questions, 9:00AM – 9:15AM
- Call to Order: Chair – Donna DeWitt, President of South Carolina AFL-CIO
- Presentation from Conference Organizers: Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW; Mark Dudzic, Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare; Donna Smith, One Payer States.
- Framing Questions for the Conference
Strategy Plenary – Our Fight Begins, 9:15AM – 10:50AM
- Panel: Assessing the Coming Attacks on Healthcare – Dr. Oli Fein, PNHP NY Metro; Les Leopold, The Labor Institute.
- Panel: Going on the Offense While Playing Defense – Michael Lighty, National Nurses United. Respondents: Alex Lawson, Social Security Works; Judith LeBlanc, Alliance for a Just Society.
- Audience Q&A
TalkingListening to Unions About Single Payer Healthcare – Jim McGee, Transit Employees’ Health & Welfare Fund
Workshop Block A, 10:50AM – 12:20PM
- Introductory Workshop: Making the Case for Single-Payer – Facilitators: Emma Arnesty-Good, Healthcare-NOW; Stephanie Nakajima, Healthcare-NOW
- Next Steps for Labor: The AFL-CIO Convention and Beyond – Facilitator: Rand Wilson, SEIU Local 888.
- Telling Your Healthcare Story – Facilitators: Geri Katz, Minnesota Nurses Association; Donna Smith, Progressive Democrats of America.
- How to Play Offense While Playing Defense: Developing Local Campaigns for 2017 – Facilitator: Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW.
- Single-Payer Organizing & Public Sector Workers in an Era of Privatization – Facilitator: Cindy Young, J.Glynn & Co.
- Next Steps for Campaign for New York Health – Facilitators: Katie Robbins, PNHP NY Metro; Ursula Rozum, Campaign for NY Health; Steve Toff, NYSNA.
Lunch and Caucusing, 12:20PM – 1:20PM
Workshop Block B, 1:20PM – 2:50PM
- Introductory Workshop: The Single-Payer Movement & Organizing 101 – Facilitators: Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW; Ursula Rozum, Campaign for New York Health.
- Addressing Union Concerns Regarding State Single Payer – Facilitator: Jim McGee, Transit Employees’ Health & Welfare Fund
- Building a Winning Movement: Moving from Tactical Coalitions to Strategic Partnerships – Facilitators: Ben Palmquist, National Economic & Social Rights Initiative; Drew Christopher Joy, Southern Maine Workers’ Center; Jessica Morrison, Vermont Workers’ Center; Nijmie Dzurinko, Put People First! PA.
- Online Organizing for Single-Payer Activists – Facilitators: Stephanie Nakajima, Healthcare-NOW; Winnie Wong, People for Bernie Sanders
- The State of State Single-Payer Campaigns in 2017 – Facilitators: Sonja Rotenberg, Illinois Single-Payer Coalition; Donna Smith, Progressive Democrats of America.
- Single Payer Study Controversies – Facilitators: Lucas Osborne, Healthcare-NOW; Leonard Rodberg, Queens College/CUNY.
Movement-Building Plenary, 2:50PM – 5:15PM
- Resisting Privatization & Organizing for Public Rights – Mark Dimondstein, President of the American Postal Workers Union
- Panel: The Re-Opening of State Health Reform, Prospects for Single-Payer – Richard Gottfried, Chair, NYS Assembly Committee on Health and sponsor of NY Health Act; Jeff Johnson, Washington State AFL-CIO; Pilar Schiavo, Campaign for a Healthy California; Donna Smith, Healthcare for All Colorado.
- Audience Q&A
- Discussion: Building a Unified Opposition – Moderator: Nancy Wohlforth. Discussants: Kamini Doobay, Coalition to Dismantle Racism in Healthcare; Nadina LaSpina, Disabled in Action; Mari Lopez, Health for All; Claire McClinton, Flint Democracy Defense League; Rose Roach, Minnesota Nurses Association; Brandon Cuicchi, ACT UP new york.
Agenda for Sunday, January 15
Continental breakfast, 8:00AM – 9:00AM
Strategy Sessions & Closing Plenary, 9:00AM-11:30AM
- Small Group Strategy Sessions: Answering the Framing Questions – Facilitator: John Lozier, National Healthcare for the Homeless Council.
- Closing plenary: Donna Smith, One Payer States; Mark Dudzic, Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare; Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW.